New Hampshire
Secretary of State

Federal IA Notice Filing

Initial Notice Filing Checklist

Should be submitted through Web IARD:

  1. Complete Form ADV (Part I & II), Submit Part I through IARD.
  2. Part II and/or Part 2 of Form ADV do not have to be filed, but must be made available upon 5 days notice by the Bureau to the Investment Adviser.
  3. $250 Notice Filing FEE for the Firm. Pay to the IARD.
  4. For any Investment Adviser Representatives who are working from a New Hampshire location:
    • Complete, up-to-date Form U-4, submitted to the CRD system.
    • $130 Registration FEE. Pay to the Web CRD.

There is no deminimus exemption for Federal Advisers from the notice filing requirements. Federal Advisers must file a notice in New Hampshire prior to conducting any investment adviser business in the state.


Federal IA Notice Filing


May be submitted through Web IARD, Or, submit to the Bureau: 

$200 renewal fee for the ensuing year, on or before December 31st of each year. 


Federal IA Notice Filing

Withdrawal Notice Filing

May be submitted through Web IARD, Or, submit to the Bureau:

No fee. Submit a copy of Form ADV-W filed with the SEC, within 10 days of its submission to the SEC. If a federal covered adviser is only withdrawing from the state of New Hampshire, it may file a Form ADV-W indicating that it is withdrawing from New Hampshire or may send a letter indicating that it is withdrawing from New Hampshire and state the reasons therefor.


Federal IA Notice Filing

Agent Licensure and Filings

Persons who meet the definition of investment adviser representative who have a place of business in New Hampshire must be licensed as agents of the federal covered adviser. RSA 421-B:1-102

All agent filings should be submitted through Web CRD. The Web CRD System


Submit a complete Form U-4 and a fee of $130 to the Web CRD system.


Submit amendments to Form U-4 to Web CRD, in accordance with the instructions on Form U-4. All material information on the Form U-4 on file with the Bureau through Web CRD must be current at all times.


On or before December 31st of each year, submit a renewal fee of $100 per agent to Web CRD for licensing in the ensuing year.


Submit a Form U-5 for New Hampshire through the Web CRD system.


Each applicant for individual investment adviser licensure shall provide to the Secretary of State or to CRD, proof of obtaining a passing score(s) on one of the following examination requirements:

  1. The Uniform Investment Adviser Law Examination (Series 65); or
  2. The General Securities Representative Examination (Series 7) AND The Uniform Combined State Law Examination (Series 66)


  1. Any individual who is registered or licensed as an investment adviser, investment adviser agent or investment adviser representative in any jurisdiction in the United States on January 1, 2000 shall not be required to satisfy the examination requirements for investment adviser licensure in this state, except that the Secretary of State may require additional examinations for any individual found to have violated any state or federal securities law.
  2. Any individual who has not been registered or licensed in any jurisdiction for a period of two (2) years shall be required to comply with the examination requirements.

    WAIVERS - The examination requirement shall not apply to an individual who upon application holds one of the following professional designations:
  3. Certified Financial Planner (CFP) awarded by the International Board of Standards and Practices for Certified Financial Planners, Inc.
  4. Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC) awarded by the American College, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania.
  5. Personal Financial Specialist (PFS) awarded by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
  6. Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) awarded by the Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts.
  7. Chartered Investment Counselor (CIC) awarded by the Investment Counsel Association of America, Inc.
  8. Such other designation as the Secretary of State may by rule or order recognize.