State Investment Adviser Agent

  • cog

    All agent filings should be submitted through Web CRD.  The Web CRD System 


    Submit a complete Form U-4 and a fee of $130 to the Web CRD system.


    Submit amendments to Form U-4 to Web CRD, in accordance with the instructions on Form U-4.  All material information on the Form U-4 on file with the Bureau through Web CRD must be current at all times.


    On or before December 31st of each year, submit a renewal fee of $100 per agent to Web CRD for licensing in the ensuing year.


    Submit a Form U-5 for New Hampshire through the Web CRD system.


    Each applicant for individual investment adviser licensure shall provide to the Secretary of State or to CRD, proof of obtaining a passing score(s) on one of the following examination requirements: 

    1. The Uniform Investment Adviser Law Examination (Series 65); or
    2. The General Securities Representative Examination (Series 7) AND The Uniform Combined State Law Examination (Series 66)


    1. Any individual who is registered or licensed as an investment adviser, investment adviser agent or investment adviser representative in any jurisdiction in the United States on January 1, 2000 shall not be required to satisfy the examination requirements for investment adviser licensure in this state, except that the Secretary of State may require additional examinations for any individual found to have violated any state or federal securities law.
    2. Any individual who has not been registered or licensed in any jurisdiction for a period of two (2) years shall be required to comply with the examination requirements.

    WAIVERS - The examination requirement shall not apply to an individual who upon application holds one of the following professional designations: 

    1. Certified Financial Planner (CFP) awarded by the International Board of Standards and Practices for Certified Financial Planners, Inc.
    2. Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC) awarded by the American College, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania.
    3. Personal Financial Specialist (PFS) awarded by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
    4. Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) awarded by the Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts.
    5. Chartered Investment Counselor (CIC) awarded by the Investment Counsel Association of America, Inc.
    6. Such other designation as the Secretary of State may by rule or order recognize.

    SOLE PROPRIETOR INVESTMENT ADVISERS - Sole Proprietor Investment Advisers have to be licensed as investment advisers, but do not have to be separately licensed as agents.  They do, however, have to meet the same examination requirements for licensure of agents.